“Commit your way to the Lord; trust in him and he will do this: He will make your righteousness shine like the dawn, the justice of your cause like the noonday sun.” (Psalm 37:5-6, NIV)
THE PSALMIST makes some bold statements in Psalm 37:
- God will reward those who delight Him.
- He has never seen the righteous forsaken.
- Turning from evil brings God’s favor.
- Offspring are affected by a person’s choices.
- Righteous men speak with wisdom.
- The law of God is in the heart of the wise.
Yet the psalmist does not promise a life of ease. Testing will occur. Heartache will happen. When we both trust and obey, however, we will be rewarded, for God is delighted with us. When we are doing wrong, the abrupt turning of repentance will bring joy to God’s heart. Our commitment will show in our daily decisions. The storehouses will open, and His blessings of spiritual fruit will be ours to claim! We can anticipate love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness , and self-control! Money cannot buy this wonderful fruit, but trust followed by obedience will continually be rewarded with them.
What an awesome God we serve! Let’s trust and obey!
Dear God, teach me that the sense of urgency that keeps me from focusing on You will not prevent my trust and my obedience to You. Guide me to turn from evil and to delight You. Through Jesus. Amen.
- LINDA GAINEY SMOCK, St. Petersburg, Florida